National Heritage Transport Organisations
- Heritage Railway Association Index of Preserved Railways
- Comprehensive set of links to preserved railways and other railway related sites.
Individual links to other preserved railways are not listed here since the Heritage Railway Association maintains this excellent set of links on its Website.
- Preserved Carriages Database
- Database of preserved railway carriages. The Carriage Survey Project is a consortium of five preservation groups (including the SRPS), in partnership with the Heritage Railway Association, The National Railway Museum and the Transport Trust. The project is being co-ordinated by the Vintage Carriages Trust and is supported with grant aid from the Carnegie United Kingdom Trust.
- DB Cargo
- Formerly English, Welsh & Scottish Railways (EWS), operator of freight and charter trains in the UK. EWS has provided the motive power for some SRPS Railtours and one of their locomotives, 37 411 The Scottish Railway Preservation Society, was named after the SRPS.
- East Coast
- Virgin Trains East Coast operates services between Scotland & London Kings Cross along the East Coast Main Line
- National Rail - The Gateway to Britain's National Rail Network
- The Association of Train Operating Companies website provides up-to-the-minute news about train services, and links to timetable, ticket and fare information. The site includes an interactive passenger timetable.
- Network Rail
- The main UK track and infrastructure company.
- The operator of most passenger train services within Scotland
- The Trainline
- On-line booking for most main-line train services within Britain
- Virgin Trains
- Virgin West Coast operates West Coast Main Line services between Glasgow and London Euston.
- West Coast Railways
- West Coast Railways operates charter trains throughout the British railways network, including the Jacobite Steam Train between Fort William and Mallaig. West Coast Railways locomotives often haul SRPS Railtours.
Railway Societies and Groups
- Caledonian Railway Association
- The Caledonian Railway was one of the large pre-grouping railways in Scotland which owned lines from Carlisle to Aberdeen
- Deltic-22 Royal Scots Grey
- This preserved Deltic diesel locomotive has featured on SRPS Railtours and visited the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway.
- Glasgow & South Western Railway Association
- The Glasgow & South Western Railway was one of the pre-grouping railways in Scotland which owned many lines in Renfrewshire, Ayrshire, Dumfriesshire and Galloway
- Great North of Scotland Railway Association
- The Great North of Scotland Railway Railway served the north east of Scotland from Aberdeen to Elgin, a largely agricultural area which included the fishing ports of Buchan and the splendid scenery of Deeside and Speyside
- Highland Railway Heritage
- A volunteer group promoting the scenic lines of the Scottish Highlands for tourism and steam locomotive haulage
- Light Rail Transit Association (LRTA)
- A national society interested in trams and light railway systems throughout the world. The LRTA organises talks in many locations including Edinburgh and Glasgow
- North British Railway Study Group
- A group of enthusiasts keen to learn more about the North British Railway, which was one of the largest railways in Scotland
- Railway Correspondence & Travel Society (RCTS)
- A long-established national society which holds talks in many locations, including Edinburgh
Other Railway Sites
- iRail web directory
- Index and search engine to find railway related sites. (Note that since this is a new site it does not yet give a comprehensive coverage of railway sites)
- PSUL - Passenger Train Services over Unusual Lines
- The on-line version of the long-established publication listing regular passenger trains over obscure rail routes in the British Isles.
- 'scot-rail' Email Group
- A mailing list dedicated solely to Scotland's railways. This group is for any rail enthusiast interested in the railways and trains of Scotland. Note that this has no connection with a similarly-named train operating company. Participants tend to use train headcodes and other abbreviations so a fairly detailed knowledge of railway operating terminology is useful.
- Scottish Railways and Steamers
- Extensive gazetteer of Scottish railways, including history of railway and steamer companies
- The Signal Box
- Extensive information on the subject of British railway signalling practice. The emphasis is on the older, mechanical signalling - that worked by levers and with signals that go up and down.
- Six Bells Junction
- Information about main-line excursions throughout the UK including "The Railtour Files", an extensive archive of tours dating back to 1841.
Other Railway Related Links
Websites which have offered reciprocal links to this site
- Provides a complete range of point-to-point and city-to-city train tickets in the United Kingdom and Europe, and European Rail Passes.
- The Railway Magazine
- For more than a century The Railway Magazine has been at the heart of the railway scene. Each month, Railway has in depth coverage of all aspects of the railway scene - from steam through to modern developments.
- Globe Video Films - UK Railway Videos
- Railway video publishers, mostly modern traction, who have published quite a lot
of material over the years including shots of SRPS special trains, particularly in the Highlands.
- All Aboard - USA by Rail
- Practical information and tips for North American train travel.
Other Transport : Scottish Canals
- Linlithgow Union Canal Centre
- Society which promotes the restoration and use of the Union Canal. Operates cruises from Manse Basin, Linlithgow, to the spectacular Avon Aqueduct and Causewayend Basin where the canal had a transhipment wharf with the Slammanan Railway which ran to Bo'ness
- The Falkirk Wheel
- The World's First and only Rotating Boat Lift. The spectacular centrepiece of the Millennium Link canal network linking the re-opened Forth & Clyde and Union Canals.