ABOUT THE TRAINS
ABOUT THE TRAINS
Steam Locomotives based at Bo'ness
Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T No.419CR 419 was built by the Caledonian Railway Company at St Rollox Works, Glasgow, in 1907. The class was designed by J F Macintosh for branch line and suburban work.
Following withdrawal from service by British Railways in the early 1960s, the 'Caley Tank' was one of the first locomotives to be acquired by the SRPS and is the Society's emblem.
A major overhaul was completed in 2000, since when No. 419 has been in regular use on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway.
A picture of No. 419 at Bo'ness featured on a postage stamp in the Royal Mail's Classic Locomotives Stamp Collection. Special First Day Covers are on sale.
North British Railway C Class No.673 MaudeNBR 673 was built by Neilson & Co. of Glasgow in 1891. After War Service on the Western Front during the First World War, it was named Maude after Lt. Gen. Maude, Commander of the British Forces in Mesopotamia. It was based at Haymarket and Bathgate before purchase by the SRPS in 1966. During the 1980s NBR673 travelled widely on the main line, operating SRPS Railtours, the 1984 Mallaig Steam Specials and, most notably, a round trip from Falkirk under its own power to the Rainhill 150 Celebrations in 1980.
Maude is currently on loan to the National Railway Museum, York.
Neilson Reid 0-6-0T Coltness Iron Co. Ltd. No.1 Lord RobertsPurchased by Coltness Iron Co. Ltd. in 1902, No.1 was named after Lord Roberts, the Commander of the British Army in the Boer War. When the Coltness Iron Company closed in 1953, No.1 was bought by the National Coal Board for use at Bedlay pit. Major breakdown in 1967 resulted in it being taken out of service and gifted by the NCB to the SRPS. Restoration began in 1990 and No.1 was returned to traffic on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway during the 1996 season.
No.1 is currently masquerading as another famous locomotive with the same number, Thomas the Tank Engine.
The above locomotives are owned by the SRPS or Scottish Railway Museum Collection Trust. Other SRPS steam locomotives are currently non-operational. Several, including the North British Railway 0-4-0ST No.42 are on display in the Museum of Scottish Railways. Others are undergoing restoration or stored awaiting restoration. Further details of all SRPS locomotives and rolling stock can be found on the Scottish Railway Preservation Society Collections Website.
LNER D49 Class 4-4-0 No.246 MorayshireDesigned by Gresley and built at the LNER Darlington Works in 1928, Morayshire is the only surviving member of 76 'Shires'. As British Railways No.62712 Morayshire continued in service until 1961 and after use as a stationary boiler at Slateford Laundry was stored until 1964. The locomotive was purchased by Ian Fraser and subsequently donated to the Royal Scottish Museum. It was restored at Inverurie Works, Dalmeny and the SRPS Falkirk Depot. In 1975 Morayshire featured in the Stockton & Darlington Railway 150th Anniversary at Shildon and hauled several main-line excursions until 1981.
A major overhaul of Morayshire has recently been undertaken at Bo'ness, and the photograph shows No.246 on 25 August 2005 hauling its first passenger service for over twenty years.
British Railways Standard 2-6-4T No.80105Designed by Riddles as a mixed traffic tank locomotive and built by British Railways at Brighton Works in 1955. 80105 was purchased from Barry scrap yard in 1973 by the Locomotive Owners Group (Scotland), a group of SRPS members, and restored to service on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway in 2000.
Several other steam locomotives at Bo'ness are owned by other organisations including Great North of Scotland Railway 4-4-0 No.49 Gordon Highlander (on loan from the Glasgow Museum of Transport) and Midland Railway 'Compound' 4-4-0 No.1000 (on loan from the National Railway Museum) which are on display in the Museum of Scottish Railways.
Further details, photographs and news of the steam locomotive fleet can be found on the SRPS Steam Locomotive Group Website.
Diesel Locomotives based at Bo'nessThe last service train on Saturdays and Sundays is normally hauled by one of the heritage diesels.
SRPS Diesel Locomotives
Also based at Bo'ness are 26004 & 26024 (both owned by 6LDA), 37025 Inverness TMD (owned by the Scottish Thirty-Seven Group) and 37175.
The CoachesMost trains on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway are formed of former British Railways Mk1 coaches which were built in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The set of coaches used for the normal services are painted in the early British Railways crimson and cream (blood & custard) livery. For some special events when longer trains are required some of the SRPS Railtours maroon liveried coaches are used.
On certain special occasions coaches from the historic collection are used. These include two Caledonian coaches which were built in 1921.
The SRPS collection of carriages is included in the Preserved Carriages Database.
About the Railway
|For further information phone :
or write to
The Scottish Railway Preservation Society
Bo'ness Station, Union Street, Bo'ness, West Lothian EH51 9AQ
or Email Enquiries
|SRPS Railtours||SRPS Website Contents||Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway|
|Hosting of this website is kindly donated by E-Learn Design Limited|